All New Patients
Tooth Fillings in McKinney
Affordable Dentistry from the McKinney Dentist
Tooth fillings also known as composite fillings are intended to replace tooth structure lost to cavity or decay. If no treatment is performed the bacteria will keep destroying more tooth structure and the cavity will get bigger in size. The worst outcome of this is that either the cavity approaches the middle of the tooth where your nerves and blood vessels are or the bacteria destroy most of your tooth and the tooth cannot be saved at this point.
Dr. Prida has trained on all the advances in dental materials and tooth filling techniques to offer new ways to create more pleasing, natural-looking smiles for McKinney. Tooth fillings also called composite fillings, offer an aesthetic alternative to silver (dental amalgam) tooth fillings that are hard to match.
There are several types of tooth filling materials that can be used to repair damaged or decayed teeth. Several factors influence the performance, durability, longevity and expense of dental fillings.
Types of Tooth Fillings
- Amalgam - Amalgam is composed of a mixture of silver, copper, tin and mercury, all of which combine to form a strong and stable filling material. It is durable, easy to use, highly resist-ant to wear and relatively inexpensive compared with other materials.
- Composite - Composite fillings are a mixture of acrylic resin and finely ground glass like particles that produce a tooth-colored restoration. Composite fillings provide durability and resistance to fracture in small-to-mid-sized restorations that need to withstand moderate chewing pressure.
- Glass ionomers - Glass ionomers are tooth-colored materials made of a mixture of fine fluoride-containing glass powder and organic acid that forms a solid restoration able to release fluoride.
The outcome is a naturally restored tooth structure that mimics many of the qualities of the natural tooth structure and translucency.
Advantages of Tooth Fillings
- They closely match natural tooth color and appearance
- They bond to tooth structure chemically
- The bonding of white fillings to the tooth restore 85% - 95% of the original strength of the tooth
- They completely harden in seconds instead of days required by some other materials
- Tooth sensitivity, if any, due to composite resin use is minimal and brief
- They may be used on front and back teeth without compromising aesthetics
- If damaged they can be repaired
The ultimate decision about what type of tooth filling to use is best determined by the patient in consultation with Dr. Prida. Before your treatment begins, discuss the options because strength, aesthetics, cost and longevity of dental filling materials may vary in different situations and for different patients.
The McKinney Dentist, Dr. Prida always takes every factor into account when recommending a particular filling material for your teeth. Schedule your appointment with Stonelodge Dental today.
Dr Ernesto Prida
Your McKinney Dentist
Cosmetic Dentist and General Dentist located in McKinney, TX
Dr. Prida's passion is to not only provide patients with excellent dental services, but also crafting an aesthetically beautiful smile for each person. Since he graduated from dental school, Dr. Prida began to advance his knowledge in cosmetic dental treatments continued education in dentistry. As a general dentist Dr. Prida performs regular teeth cleanings and diagnoses problems that patients have with pain and oral health.