Missing teeth? Look at the All on 4 procedure
All on 4 is one of the most innovative teeth replacement technique available for those who have lost several or all of their teeth. There are a variety of options to complete your full mouth restorations for missing teeth. Traditional dentures are the most affordable option, but they fail to provide the same stability as natural teeth and do not stop bone loss in the jaw. All on 4 replaces the upper or lower set of teeth with four implants. Those implants replace a full arch of lost teeth and are a support mechanism for the placement of a new set of fixed teeth.
Advantages of All-on-4 implants
All-on-4 implants have been commonly used by dental patients for over a decade. Instead of replacing each lost tooth individually, the All-on-4 dental implant system replaces your complete set of teeth. Some of the advantages of choosing this option include:
- Stability of Teeth Implants – All-on-4 dental implants use four implants for each arch to secure and support the denture. The implants keep the prosthetic teeth anchored to the jawbone, just like natural teeth. No adhesives are needed, and All-on-4 dentures will never slip or fall out when eating or talking, like traditional dentures.
- Better Function – The overdentures used in All-on-4 dental implants are attached to the implant posts that are embedded in the jaw. This means more strength for chewing your favorite foods. You can eat all the foods you love again – no restrictions.
- Natural Appearance and Feel – All-on-4 dental implants provide a beautiful new smile that looks natural – for most of our patients, their new smile looks better than their natural teeth ever did. Plus, the design of the overdenture is horseshoe-shaped. The roof of the mouth is not covered, like it is with conventional dentures, for a more natural feel.
- Preserves Face and Jaw Structure – When you lose teeth, the jawbone loses stimulation and may begin to shrink. Teeth implants stimulate bone growth to maintain the jaw structure, while dentures do not. All-on-4 dental implants can help you preserve your bone structure for a more youthful appearance.
- Easy Maintenance – All-on-4 dental implants can be maintained just like natural teeth. You can brush and clean them like normal with regular checkups at your dentist.
The All on Four dental procedure
At the time of the surgical treatment, the dentist will measure and mark the correct natural distance between the top and bottom jaws. This helps to ensure that the distance is preserved and your facial structure and jaw are in the same position after the procedure as it was before.
The surgery begins once the patient is sedated. Any existing teeth and remnants of lost teeth are extracted, and damaged gum tissue will be removed. An incision will be made along the length of the ridge on both the top and bottom jaws to expose the jawbone. The ridge will then be reduced by removing bone from the top and bottom arches, and then be smoothed and prepared for the dental implants.
The implant placement will begin with the marking of the insertion point on the surface of the bone. Then pilot holes are drilled at precise angles to obtain the greatest possible strength and stability. Once the titanium screw implants are inserted and tightened to the torque requirements and incisions closed. The titanium implants will form the foundation by which the replacement teeth will be attached.
The abutments that serve as the mounting posts for the replacement tooth prosthesis are attached to the ends of the dental implants. The contact points where the abutments meet the temporary prosthesis will be marked, drilled, and then tested to ensure a proper fit and secured in place using mechanical fasteners.
The holes in the temporary prosthesis will be filled and the bite pattern checked and verified. Any high spots or irregular contact points will be corrected to ensure the proper occlusion of the top and bottom jaws. The healing process can now begin.
Schedule an All on Four appointment with the McKinney dentist
During your consultation, Dr. Prida will explain what is All On 4, he will examine your teeth, gums, bone, and smile. You’ll discuss your personal goals and treatment outcomes directly with Dr. Prida, so he can create a personalized treatment plan specifically for you.
If you’re tired of trying to hide your smile, it’s time to schedule your 30-minute All On 4 assessment with Stonelodge Dental. The doctors at Stonelodge Dental are committed to helping you maintain excellent oral health for life. If you have missing teeth and would like more information about All on 4, schedule your appointment online or call 214-613-1500 today.