Why do people not visit the dentist regularly?
Many people need reasons to visit the dentist regularly other than emergency dental care. Doing this might may be fatal for long term oral health and can result in dental complications.
The number one cause of not visiting at the dentist regularly is the fear of dentists. Approximately 61% of people have some form of dental anxiety such as paranoia, fear, dental phobia or be an apprehensive patient. If you do not visit the dentist, it can negatively affect your oral and physical health. It’s better to see your dentist once every six months to ensure that your teeth and gums are healthy versus only when you have a dental emergency. Below are seven reasons why you should visit your dentists regularly.
- You have ongoing medical issues – If you may be more susceptible to dental issues if you have certain chronic medical conditions such as diabetes, heart disease and eating disorders. This is true if you’re undergoing certain medical treatments, including radiation and hormone replacement therapy, or if you’re taking certain prescription drugs. Your dentist can advise you on the best ways to keep your teeth healthy given your particular medical history.
- You’re pregnant – Hormonal changes during pregnancy can put you at greater risk for gingivitis and tooth decay. You may want to get more frequent teeth cleanings while you’re pregnant and talk to your dentist about adjusting your at-home care routines.
- Regular Dental Exams – Some dental issues can only be detected by your dentist. Often the signs of oral complications are mild and most people end up ignoring them until it’s too late. These symptoms can even be a recurring toothache so schedule an appointment with the McKinney dentist.
- Pain or swelling – Toothache, sensitivity to hot or cold foods or beverages may be signs of a serious underlying health issue, such as an infection, a fractured tooth, tooth decay or gum disease. These symptoms are likely to get worse without treatment.
- Early Detection of Oral Cancer – Advanced dental technology has made it possible to detect the early stages of oral cancer. Visiting the dentist on a regular basis helps in the early treatment and gives you a better chance at beating cancer.
- Persistent bad breath – Bad breath can make you feel self-conscious and uncomfortable in social settings, but it could also be a symptom of something serious, such as infection, acid reflux, chronic bronchitis or other health issues.
- Protection against Decay and Cavities – Its normal for food particles to get stuck between our teeth, but if these particles are not cleaned for long, they can form a yellowish layer on your teeth or plaque. If left untreated, this plaque can lead to tooth decay and cavities, which can even lead to loss of teeth in some cases.
Don’t make excuses to not visit the dentist on a regular basis. Consult a dentist near you to keep dental issues at bay. Call Dr. Ernesto Prida to book an appointment with one of the best dentists in McKinney, Texas at Stonelodge Dental.